Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 2 and some of 3

Well, yesterday was day 2 for this trip. As always, you never know what will happen from one day to the next in Haiti. I wasn't able to get a lot done yesterday, but did buy cleaning supplies, garbage cans, a can, and some basics like toilet paper, paper towels and soap. I started cleaning the upstairs kitchen so I could put away the dishes I brought, and my new friend Esther came by and I showed her the house. My first 'visitor'! What a beautiful lady, inside and out. After we talked she prayer walked through the house, going from room to room praying out loud for God to bless the house and the work of the ministry. She named off specific needs and prayed for His blessing. While we were talking it began pouring the rain, but the sun was still shining. Then Sherrie called to tell me dinner was ready. When I got back everyone else was still gone from their various activities of the day. So, Sherrie said the blessing and we sat down together for dinner. I always enjoy our conversations, no matter how long or short. I am thankful that God placed this beautiful lady in my life. Her faith inspires me everyday. When I feel defeated she always has something to say that lifts me up and keeps me going.

After dinner I was able to spend some time working on job descriptions for long term volunteer needs and read through and practice some of my "Haitian language skills". It was a good day, with a slower pace. Sometimes we have to step back and take a deep breath so we can hear God's voice. I know I am guilty of often being in a hurry to accomplish something that I miss out on the small, beautiful things around me that are far more important. Thank you Lord for the reminder!

Today is another beautiful day here in Haiti. I came out to the balcony to work on paperwork and make a list of things to be done. Edmond was going to take me to the store to buy a stove for the house. Then David and Micah were talking to Sherrie about going to the Dominican Republic to visit David's brother who wants David to come and talk to his team about what he is doing in Haiti. They suggested that I might want to come along since I need to buy appliances and they are much cheaper in the DR. So, I have packed my backpack with basic needs for the night and am ready to go. It is always an adventure when you are in Haiti! I have never been to he DR, so it will be a new experience for me. Tomorrow will be a day of cleaning and putting away what we have so far. I wish I had more time here this trip, but I know I will be back soon with more supplies. So, I will be heading off for today's adventure soon so I will go for now. Praying you all have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment