Saturday, July 2, 2011

Called to Haiti

Our team leaves for Haiti in 16 days...

As our team prepares our hearts and minds to go to Haiti, there are mixed emotions for us and our families and friends. In the uncertainty of what we will encounter, we trust that the Lord will go before us and will travel with us on this journey. Deuteronomy 31:8 tells us "The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you or forsake you". We are called to a radical life of obedience to do the work the Lord places before us. One of the best verses that speaks to this calling is Matthew 16:24-25, which reads: "If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever loses his life for Me will find it." Can we do it? Can we go against everything our society places value on and follow Christ? Our team has been called to do this...

I recently read the book "Radical" by David Platt. This book is very challenging for a Christian today, but its message is desperately needed. In describing what radical abandonment to Jesus really means, he says, "For the sake of more than a billion people today who have yet to hear the gospel, I want to risk it all. For the sake of twenty-six thousand children who will die today of starvation or a preventable disease, I want to risk it all. For the sake of an increasingly marginalized and relatively ineffective church in our culture, I want to risk it all. For the sake of my life, my family, and the people who surround me, I want to risk it all." If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it!

Join our team on this journey as we are obedient to what we have been called to do. We will each be forever changed!

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment