Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 7: The Final Day

Well, today is the final day in Haiti for our team this time around. It feels like we have been here a long time, but it also feels like we just got here. I am surprised by how comfortable I am here. I have fallen in love with this country and the people here. I believe others in our team have as well. I can't possibly write words to explain the experience we have had this week and the impact it has had on our lives. My prayer is that we will all return to KY forever changed by our experiences here. That we may never forget what we have seen and what we have learned. That we will stop taking so many things for granted in America. We have far too much that we don't need while other people in this world don't have the necessities they need to survive. Truth be told I am sad to be going home. I don't want to go back to what we have after seeing what so many need now. I have made it through this trip without being too emotional - I have really just jumped in and done what has been needed. I know that once I am back home and all of this really hits me, the emotions will absolutely come. I have never felt this close to God and felt as though so many things in my life make sense. I have a very large story about some things that happened personally for me this week, but I cannot get into those details in the blog - it will take some time to write it all down. I can say, however, that I have been blessed in mighty ways this week.

This morning Brother Joe and I went to Pastor Odvin's church for the 6 am service. I spoke to the church congregation about something big God has laid on my heart. I have never been so nervous, but God gave me strength and gave me words when the time came to stand. When we got back to the House, we met up with the other members of the team and split into groups to go to other morning church services. I went back out with Brother Joe to Eglise Evangelic (Silo) Church. This has by far been my favorite church this week. I have felt God's presence so strongly in that church. And today I was able to make a special connection to a number of ladies from this church this morning. We exchanged phone numbers and emails (only a few had email addresses), and will stay in touch about ministry work we are planning to do together (again, long story).

We were able to calculate the numbers for the end of the week's activities. It is truly amazing to see how strong God is moving here. Our team (including those back home) has led 126 men, women, and children to Christ this week! We have seen 194 others make other decisions/rededications. We have had around 2,657 in attendance throughout the week. How awesome! This evening we will be staying in and having our own small service after dinner and will spend time sharing with each other about what we have experienced this week. God has been so good and so faithful.

We are looking forward to getting back and seeing our families and friends, and to having worship back at UBC on Sunday with our church family. We may post more tonight, but for now we will sign off. May God bless your evening!

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment