Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 4

Well, since today is day 4 here in Haiti I might actually get caught up with blogging tonight! Where to start...today was a special day that came about through a single question I asked last year on my first trip to Haiti. On that visit I asked if there were programs and services here to help women that have been abused. Always present to a degree, physical and sexual violence against women escalated following the earthquake. I quickly found out that very few programs existed and there were none in this area that were faith-based. On that trip, in fact the day I asked that question, I was introduced to Pastor Odvin. We talked about this issue and he quickly volunteered to start this ministry in his church. The problem was that I didn't know what "this ministry" was! I had merely asked a question but the next thing I knew I was speaking at a 6 am service to a crowd of more than 150 Haitians, telling them that women have rights and do not deserve to be violated and abused. At that time we announced that God had a plan for a ministry here in Haiti to help women recover from their painful pasts. It was a roller coaster ride. When I came to Haiti last July I hadn't thought about returning. Well it was evident that God had different plans. I returned to Haiti in December and met with Pastor Odvin, Pastor CJ, and Vanita (a nurse in Pastor Odvin's health clinic). It was our first "committee meeting". During that time we discussed a name for the organization and went over a list of possible programs and services that we could provide. Shortly after returning home and doing so e research on names, I found the name of the ministry: Hope for My Sister. I am in the process of getting the organization registered with the State. Fast forward to today. This morning we held an official inauguration ceremony for Hope for My Sister at Pastor Odvin's church, and the whole UBC team was there providing support! There was a good crowd, with many women. It was a very nice event with songs and prayer, but the highlight of the event, the moment when I was truly reminded of why this is so very important, is when a young lady, Blondine, gave her testimony. She talked of how a close friend of hers had betrayed her and left her with a man that held her at gunpoint while he raped and abused her. As she spoke with tears running down her face, and I listened to the translator (who was translating into English) all I could do was ask God to make me a willing servant, that if this is what I am called to lead that He would equip me for the task. Words can not do justice to how unequipped I feel for this work. I keep wondering why in the world, of all of the people He could have chosen, He chose me. I am no one special. I don't have the answers to all of the questions that keep coming up, and frankly I am scared of the whole thing. I can't even speak their language, yet. Back to this morning. I also spoke this morning about the ministry. I spoke about the fact that abuse is not only a Haitian problem or an American problem; instead it is a global problem. God gives us great promises through our relationship with Him. He says:Psalm 139:1-2 - You may not know me, but I know everything about you; I know when you sit down and when you rise up; 1 John 3:1 - Simply because you are my child and I am your father; Matthew 7:11 - I offer you more than your earthy father ever could; Matthew 5:48 - For I am the perfect father; Jeremiah 31:3 - Because I love you with an everlasting love; Exodus 19:5 - For you are my treasured possession; Psalm 34:18 - When you are broken hearted, I am close to you; Revelation 21:3-4 - One day I will wipe away every tear from your eyes; And I'll take away all the pain you have suffered on this earth. After the ceremony I met with our Haitian Board of Directors!!! We have five wonderful Haitian ladies who have a heart for this important work and we were able to meet today to discuss Board positions, bylaws, budget, and a plan to come back and hold Christian counseling training so we can develop some strong, Godly women here in Haiti to take the lead in being the face of love and mercy to so many hurting women. When I am back in the states I will be able to move forward with other pieces of this ministry and will plan my return trip for later this year. I am scared, but I am honored that God has chosen me for such an important mission. After we arrived back at the guest house and had some snacks/lunch we loaded up and went grocery shopping. Joe left the shopping up to me and Mark. As always, it was an experience. You truly cannot do anything in a hurry here in Haiti! Big items we needed, like rice and beans, the store was out of. So we bought the other items that we could and dropped off the load at Sherrie's. We will have to shop more tomorrow to get the rice and beans and any other items we need for three other orphanages. We came back to the guest house, had dinner, and three teams went out for revival services. Long day, but it has been a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment